Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Jamaica – 6 Aug 2005 – Happy Independence Day

Today was a bit of a let down compared to Friday. No hobnobbing with the mighty and important of the JDF Military or foreign diplomats. Just down to the work of preparing for the course. I spent most of the day tackling the mountain of reading material I am required to be familiar with for the course. The remainder of the DS (Directing Staff) started to come in today. The Canadians came in late in today, the Brit and American are due tomorrow and the JDF DS on Monday. Still no idea when the Guyanise DS is coming. He seems to be having some sort of problem getting authorization. No one is sure what that means. In addition, we are having communications problems. A hurricane several weeks ago knocked out the telephone lines. We have no internet or voice landline communications. Our only comms is by cell phone, which is intermittent in our location.

It has now been one week since I left Alberta. I have not talked to the wife since I got here to tell her I am ok. With us, no news is good news, so she should not be concerned. However, it would be nice to let her know.

Today is Jamaican Independence Day. In 1962, Jamaica received its independence from Britain. It’s a big holiday in Jamaica. Want to know anything about it, don’t ask me. I spent the day working. Our support staff, all from the JDF were all celebrating the holiday, so camp improvements were not getting done.

Monday is going to be a busy day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yahoo threatens to sue Spanish blog network over information from third party site
Oddly though, the information in the post actually related to a third party post on the subject and was not the original provider of the information: it originated from a post at Easysilence here , and was ...
Do you market anything on the net? Please visit my site at; rss email publishing I'm sure you will find it very useful.