Thursday, September 22, 2005

Jamaica – 4 Sept 2005 – Back from another resort weekend

The info I told you about Breezes Runaway Bay was generally correct. The place is bigger than Hedo and I bit nicer. The beach is amazing. Quite big and very white, fine sand. I think you would have trouble finding a nicer beach in Jamaica. As mentioned, the food was excellent and a larger selection than Hedo. Overall, a nice place. The place is one of the oldest resorts in Jamaica. This means it lacks some of the things that are standard in other resorts. Breezes has only one pool, which is quite big, but most other resorts have more than one. Breezes does not have a pool bar, which was where I spent most of my time last weekend. They do have 2 jacuzzis, but both are small and a bit crappy looking. Hedo has a few pools, with the main pool having a pool table in it, a bubble pool, tables, a way up to the bar, hot tube and the waterslide that goes through the disco. The large Jacuzzi tubs in the rooms in Hedo I know would be a drawing card for the wife. The tubs in the rooms in Breezes are standard. Most people have better tubs at home.

While at the bar on Saturday in Breezes, we met this archetict that was making drawings. They are going to remodel Breezes Runaway Bay over the next year or so. They will be adding many of the things that are standard in most resorts, such as a pool bar. The place will be a lot better once that is finished.

Not sure about how often I will return or if the wife and I will go there on our vacation. As I said, everything was good, no problems, but the place was dead. Even worse than Hedo last week. And they were right about no night life. The one good thing is that you can go to Hedo from Breezes (both owned by SuperClubs) at night for a short $5 bus ride, which we all did. There were a number of other Breezes guests I recognized that night. Hedo was a bit wilder this weekend. Saturday night is “As Bare as you Dare” in the disco, and some were quite bare. Two girls wore those bikinis where the strip of cloth covering the best parts are about the size of your finger. Some other woman appeared to only be wearing paint, and the paint was being used on parts that were probably not of main interest to the men in the audience. In addition, there were many others wearing clothes that would cause a scandal back home, however, I do not mention them as they are unremarkable at Hedo. One other thing, I walked into the area of the quad pool and some guy was doing his girlfriend (wife?) right on the beach chairs around the pool. There were other people in the area, so it is not like I surprised them. I understand this type of thing is quite normal, so be wary if you go there.

As I said, Breezes is nice, but the dead night life is a killer. If the wife was with me I would not mind so much, as I would spend the time with her. However, alone I would at least like to be able to hang out in the disco and dream about how much fun I would have with my wife. Even if she was with me, its no fun dancing in a disco when you are the only ones there.
So far, I would prefer to go to Hedo for a few days when the wife comes. There are many other places in Jamaica, so I will try to do a bit of a recce on them before we need to book. Perhaps the resorts will pick up and more people will come as we get closer to high season, which may change my mind about Breezes.

No comments: