Thursday, September 29, 2005

Jamaica – 19 Sept 2005 – Dropping the Hobby

If you remember from this post, I talked about taking up alcoholism. I have been forced to drop this hobby. I am a bit of a lightweight when it comes to drinking, and I really hate hangovers.

I have been practicing a lot on the weekends. Getting just the right level of drunk is a bit of an art form. Stage 1 is what I call happy drunk. This is when you have a warm feeling inside are relaxed and can still carry out a good conversation. A few more drinks down range and things start to go downhill. I start to have trouble focussing on things, I say things I would not normally say, walking gets more difficult and jokes made by others are laughed at too heartily. This is stage 2. Whenever I get to stage 2, I get embarrassed. Further stages beyond that are the vomiting and blackout stages, and it goes without saying that I am not tempted to go there. Stage 1 is where I want to be. Unfortunately, the various mixed drinks at the resorts (give a dirty banana a try) go down very smoothly. Too smoothly in fact. While I am trying to stay in stage 1, the drinks are going down so fast that before you know it I am knocking on stage 2. Also, the bartenders tend to mix the drinks very stiff, so you may find yourself drunk before you know it. I started to go back to beer (Red Stripe), in order to better pace myself. However, now beer is starting to become like water to me. I can barely get a buzz off it.


So I will have to find another hobby. My peak climbing is going ok so far. I am behind on the number of assents that I wanted by this time as my knee has been bothering me and preventing me from getting up as much as I could. Still, I am close to being on track, only about 4 assents behind my rate of 5 per week. Not bad, as I started out with about 3 per week as a goal but raised it. I can’t see that I have lost any weight from it. Those beers pack a lot of calories.

No comments: