Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Jamaica – 4 Aug 2005 – 1 – 25:47

Today I met my enemy. The road to Catherine’s Peak is a winding, 1.5 km track that averages a 45 degree incline. It is nasty. Not only did I just about have a heart attack, the road actually tries to psych you out. Just when you think it might be over, you find another bend which takes you up at an even sharper angle.

I thought that I would have to stop at least one and probably several times to rest on the way up. I made it without stopping, except for the 5 seconds it took to avoid the local truck that just about killed me. It took me 25 minutes and 47 seconds to walk up it with a total time of 55:15. Yes, I took longer going down than up. Going down, while not harder physically, is actually more dangerous. It would be very easy to slip or fall, and that would be it.

Overall, I am happy with my first time. I am not exactly at my ideal weight and I have not been exercising regularly. My goal is to lose 15 pounds to take me to 200. That is my minimum. If I can drop another 10 after that I would be very satisfied. Another 15 after that would be perfect, but I haven’t weighted 175 since I was 15 years old, so that is probably unattainable.

If I keep up with the walk each day, I will be down to 200 by the end of the month. What with the constant sweating in the heat, drinking 5 times the water I usually do, and the mediocre food, 200 should be easy. After that, who knows? It would be nice to use this time to get back in shape. There is a bit of pride involved as well. My boss, who has 40 years in the Army (that means he is in his late 50’s), did the peak 205 times last year. That does not include the 11 times before the students arrived.

With all the PT, my stamina should be great by the time I get home. Bad news for the wife, as it means even longer lovemaking sessions.

No comments: