Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Jamaica – 22 Aug 2005 - Overly concerned

I started to be a bit concerned about the morale of my boss. He seemed a bit overly upset about the various “challenges” we have been facing. This did not seem to be too serious, as he admitted that he has been losing patience due to the fact that he has be involved with this course for 6 years. After some time one tends to get less patient with little problems.

However, coupled with that, he seemed less friendly than usual. I would pass him by and say hello, and he would stare at me with a confused look. Either he was pissed at me about something, or his morale was down. I did not think he was upset with me, as he is a straight shooter. If he is not happy with you, he will tell you. I respect that.

However, there is one other option I did not consider. The other day we were talking and he let it slip that he was on a medical pension. The medical problem is his hearing. His is a category 4, which is as close to deaf as you can get without being deaf. And he refuses to wear a hearing aid. It is quite funny to have someone say directly to you “…and if I look confused when you talk to me it is probably because I can’t hear you.” I could just see the little light over my head go click. I don’t help that as I tend to go by people I know and see a lot and simply nod in their direction or make a grunting noise to acknowledge them.


Mystery solved.

No comments: