Sunday, September 04, 2005

The focus of this site is about to change

Two weeks after moving into our new home, I am leaving my wife of 4 months for 4 months.

Canada has a program called MTAP (Military Training Assistance Program) where we help train military personnel from other countries. For the past 12 years, we have sent a small number of military members to Jamaica to run a course for junior officers from a number of Carribean countries. This year I volunteered to be one of those people.

This job is a great opportunity, one which the wife insisted I take. I almost did not. Leaving the wife alone for 4 months was a factor in considerations of whether or not to go. However, a number of factors mitigate this. The wife survived for 30+ years without me, so I figure she can take care of herself. Also, our neighbours are nice people and have agreed to help her out. My neighbour also agreed to shoot any strange men he sees around the property, at my behest.

The biggest factor in going or staying was selfish. I did not want to leave my land. I love our new place and cannot wait to trim trees, cut grass and fix things. I think I am entering a nurturing phase.

In the end, the need for green trumped all. It is also a good experience for me and the wife will get a free flight which we will use to holiday in the area.

So this site will focus more on my experiences with the JDF (Jamaican Defence Force) over the next 4 months. Rest assured, I am sure there will still be some good fights with the wife about a number of things I won't be able to control.

I bet the cats are already sleeping on my side of the bed.


Update 7 Sept 2005: Still no landline up to Newcastle Hill. I will try to post, but don't be surprised if a few backdated posts go up at odd times.

2 comments:

K. Shoshana said...

I hope that you will not be stationed in Kingston - horrible place - avoid it as much as humanly possible - on any down time go to Negril or anywhere on the North Shore.

Anonymous said...

It's not so bad.

MB