Thursday, September 30, 2004

Bush v Kerry

Just finished watching the U.S Presidential debate. Some of my impressions:

No clear winner. My impression of Kerry improved seeing him in this context, but it was low before. I heard that Bush was an expert at staying on message and I really saw that. Bush had several points he wanted to get across and was relentless in pushing them. Kerry survived the attack pretty well, but I do not think his message will be as well received as Bush. Bush appeared more Presidential. Kerry seemed to be presenting his policy on Iraq as similar to Bush but he would have done "more" or "better". I think Bush effectively highlighted the weak areas in this plan and neutralized it.

Advantage: Bush

I think we will see an increase in the Bush poll numbers over the next week, but likely only a very small one.

3 comments:

Dr Zen said...

You rightwhingers live in a fantasy land. The debate wasn't anything like even. Bush was barely coherent. He parrotted a tired party line without giving any thought to what the questions actually were.

Of course, you read this as "getting a message across" and that impresses you. I suppose the more complex ideas that Kerry provided are not digestible enough for someone who is reflexively rightist.

"Bush appeared more Presidential."

This is fucking laughable.

The difference between the rightwhingers and the leftleaners is that we simply wouldn't lie like this about our people. How can you? Bush looked like a buffoon. Even most of his own people admit that.

kranki said...

Dr zen is making a good diagnosis. If you are Canadian just keep quiet so Bush doesn't decide to invade you and steal your clean air. Idiot. P.S. Just my opinion and the polls spiked 9 points into the other direction for Kerry. Talk about something you have a grasp of. Peace.

MB said...

Dr Zen,

Thanks for your comments. I think you have a point about the debate, Kerry did look better. My problem is that I am concerned about substance over style. I see Kerry as all style, with policies that contradict. Leaders should have an idea where they want to lead and say so. I also think that Kerry does not take the war on terror seriously enough and Bush does. Since our government has abrogated the responsibility of defending us, I must count on the US to win this war.

Persidential to me equals leadership. I see that Bush has proven to be a good leader, while I do not think Kerry has the parts.

kranki,

Name calling adds nothing to the debate, so please try to keep it to a minimum.

You might be surprised about how much Canadians know about the United States and American politics. When the mouse sleeps beside the elephant, it is important to know when that elephant might roll over. We might have a greater grasp than you know.

Maybe if you listen to that mouse once in a while you might learn something.