Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Health Care and your Pet

Took one of the cats to the vet today. It took 3 hours, about the same amount of time in a people emergency room. However, there was no lineup. I had to wait for the tests. The cat had a urine test and x-ray, no waiting and no questions. However, I had a few questions: 1) Why can a cat get private healthcare and I cannot? 2) Does an x-ray really cost $120?

The cat is old so he has some problems, specifically what looks to be gall stones. This is a followup visit to see if the antibiotics he was taking worked. You will be happy to know he is better, but still needs more drugs. I spent $280 in one day on that cat. That is a lot of money for a cat that was free. I figure we could get an infinite number of cats for that money. Also, that is about how much I have spent on myself for medical all this year ($132 every 3 months for health care premiums). Tomorrow he goes in for dental, we will see what that sets me back. The GF was working so the decision to get the xray was mine alone. Although I really did not have a choice. It is her cat, I am just the step father, and I am trying to be nice. More on that later.

MB

No comments: