Wednesday, September 22, 2004

The Fringe Benefits....

As you may be aware from this post, the GF and I are getting married. So, last weekend, we decided to get the ring thing sorted out. Before I proposed, I went to a store that allows you to pick the diamond you want and put it in just about any ring you want. Complete customization, and you can scale it to fit what you want to pay. However, it takes 3 weeks to get the ring back, which was great, as I had no idea what to get her. They gave me a loner, which I could present to her, then we would come back and pick the ring she wanted. Foolproof for an idiot like me.

So, some of these diamond ads on TV say spend 2-3 months salary. Considering I am basically unemployed right now, I decided to go with about $1500. Call me a cheap bastard, as I could have gone with my old salary, which would mean I would spend about $10-15k!

So I had picked a diamond out, and with a standard ring, it would be about $1400. I figured this would give me some flexibility, so if she wanted a bit nicer ring, I would probably go to about $1500. I was willing to spend more if necessary. However, I told her to browse the store and get what she wanted, as I wanted her to be happy with the ring.

So, contrary to popular belief, the one she most likes comes to about half of what I wanted to spend. To me, it makes sense to spend less on the ring so you can spend more on a house, vacation, etc.

How can she be so practical on this and still support the impractical, illogical leftie positions on everything else?

Women are quite a mystery.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So have you found a local photographer yet? (hint! hint!)

;-)

Sean (www.polspy.ca and www.digiteyesed.com)

AdSense Angel said...

Just wait. After about 3 years of marriage, she'll start talking about "finally getting the setting" she "really always wanted" and maybe "another stone, or maybe two, so it'll be three diamonds--'cause we've been married three years, darling! Don't you think that's important?"

Trust me ;-)