Thursday, September 30, 2004

Misquoting and Pants

The one thing I really hate is being misquoted. When others say you said something you did not say, it really gets under my skin.

A few days ago, the GF got home from work and we were going to go out and get a few things from the grocery store and rent a movie before making supper. So I said to her "I am going to put on some pants" and I changed out of my blogwear (pajamas) and put on a pair of jeans.

Later that night she gets mad at me about something and start going on about how pathetic I am and I am always asking her for help, and saying things like "Where are my pants? I can't find my pants. Honey, help me find my pants." This, of course, really bugged me because I said nothing of the sort. I specifically told her that I was going to put them on. I had no trouble finding them. However, somehow in her mind this entire exchanged happened that no one in this dimension experienced.

This exchange reminded me of what is going on in the blogosphere, particularly between the left and the right in the U.S.

This is probably just my own opinion, but it seems the left are more likely to put words into others mouths, such as the Bush said Mission accomplished speech in May 2003. He never said those words, although the big sign did say that.

Accuracy is important to me, so I was sure to call her on the pants thing.

However, this got me to wondering: Is the misquoting thing due to her politics and if it is, maybe if my plan to convert her is successful I can put an end to it.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

I think your observation is wrong.

Being a rightie, you're more suseptible to noticing left-wing misquotations and fabrications since you're already distrustful of what a leftie is saying, and thus accustmed to looking for fault in their arguements.

It cuts both ways - believe me - the American election is a great example of both sides continually twisting quotes and shoving words in each others mouths.

Don said...

It's a woman thing. I'll say, "You know you have what it takes to succeed in business if you want to," and what she'll hear is, "You don't have what it takes to succeed in business if you want to." This sort of inversion happens every day.