Wednesday, October 27, 2004

The Wedding

So we have started to argue about the wedding. My family has stated they are thinking of coming to Alberta for Christmas 2005 so I suggested we have the wedding then. The GF is not to keen on that. She wants to elope. I am not against eloping per say and it does have some advantages. We are not keen to spend tens to thousands of dollars on a wedding and have no need for breadmakers and toasters. Both of our families live out of the province and when her brother was married, his wedding was a bit of mess. She also thinks it is tacky to get married at Christmas.

I, however, am a big believer in family and would like to have our families meet each other at least once during our lives. When we were in Jamaica at a resort, there were 3 to 4 weddings per day and those weddings seemed a bit impersonal. I would like to have a few people we know there to share the occasion with us.

The GF really likes to travel, so she wants to go somewhere exotic like Africa and get married. I don't mind travel and have already agreed that she gets to choose the honeymoon location. I expect I will be marching up mountains or looking at old rocks instead of lying on a beach.

So far, it looks like a compromise. We may get married in fall of 2005 and have some sort of reception at Christmas.

No comments: