Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Fahrencrap 9/11

The GF rented Fahrenheit 9/11 on the weekend and I had to watch it. I have wanted to see it (so I can fully criticize it), but I was dreading the 2 hours of propaganda. I wasn't disappointed.

Michael Moore asks some good questions about the Bush Administration and the war, but ruins it with every propaganda trick in the book. David Koppel does an excellent job
here debunking F9/11 . I read his site long before I saw the movie so I could not see it in the theater for two reasons: I did not want to pay full price for crap, and I would have spent the entire time yelling "bullshit" and "lies" at the screen, likely getting thrown out. So I did it at home (what do they say about people who yell at the TV screen?). I was not too bad, the GF only have to tell me to shut up a few times.

My favourite lies are deceits 53-56 and involve the children of members of Congress and the war. Moore states that, of 535 members of Congress, only one has an enlisted son in Iraq. Note the very precise phrase. In fact, Republican Duncan Hunter's son was a 2Lt and served in Iraq. He quit his job to join the Marines after 9/11. Of course, he is technically not an enlisted man, being an officer. At the time 7 members of Congress had children who were in the US military. If you look at the ratio of people serving in Iraq in the general population you get 349:1. Compare this with Congress, which had 2 of 535 which is 268:1.

I also like the segment with Representative Kennedy (R-MN) where Moore asks him about sending his son to Iraq. The film is cut there with a dumb look on Kennedy's face. Here is the conversation:

"Congressman, I'm trying to get members of Congress to get their kids to enlist in the Army and go over to Iraq."

Moore: Is there any way you could help me with that?
Kennedy: How would I help you?
Moore: Pass it out to other members of Congress.
Kennedy: I'd be happy to - especially those who voted for the war. I have a nephew on his way to Afghanistan.

My biggest complaint about the film: Don't claim to be showing a documentary and give only one side and ignore facts that do not fit your hypothesis.


Go to Dave Koppel's site for more detailed analysis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right on Marcel!

The problem with Moore is that he ruins his own credibility by tossing Yellow Journalizm into a movie and hyping it beyond proportion. We all know that the cast of "60 Minutes" leans so far left they wear corective shoes to walk stright, but at least they try to see both sides of the issue.

Some of the facts in the movie make you wonder, but F911 was a nonstop innuendo-fest. If he had the proof then show it, if not then shut up! Frontline does a better job with it's special then Moore's craptacular film.

Michael Moore is guilty of the same stupidity that he blames Bush for. So why should anyone take him seriously?

Anonymous said...

The GF says: I was hoping to finally shut him up by letting him watch the movie. Didn't work.....