Monday, November 21, 2005

Jamaica – 21 Nov 2005 – Surely I am worth 12 minutes?

I called the wife last night. Getting her to talk about anything is like pulling teeth. After about 9 minutes of asking her about all our friends, family, cats and anything else I could think of, I started to get the sense that she wanted to get me off the phone. Guess what? I was right. She told me straight out she wanted to hang up. She was leaving on a last minute business trip in the morning and wanted to pack.

So I barely rate a quarter of an hour of her time? It’s not like I called at 3 in the morning, all drunk and incoherent. It was just after 9 pm her time. I had not had a drink in 8 hours.

Let me give you my point of view: After just spending the weekend resisting the temptation of naked and semi naked women, some of whom would be happy to have sex with anyone while their husband filmed it, I come back to our deserted camp in the middle of nowhere to call my wife who I miss very much and who I can’t wait to hold in my arms once again, only to be told to get off the phone, as she has more important things to do, like packing socks.

So let’s go over this from her end: Your husband of 8 months, (who has been away for half of that time), whom you have not seen in 6 weeks, calls you up from a few thousand miles away and you can’t wait to get him off the phone so you can go back to packing?

What is wrong with this picture?

Ok, in her defence, this was a last minute trip and she has been very busy lately, putting in a lot of extra hours. Still, 12 minutes is not much to ask.

Oh, and this is the real kicker. Not only does she want to get me off the phone, but she has to get a dig in there as well. When she says she wants to hang up and I mention that we just started talking, she says, “Well, I still have to finish packing. I don’t want to be up all night like someone.”

This is obviously a reference to me when I was packing for this Jamaica trip. First of all, it wasn’t all night, it was only about 1 am. This is a bit late if you have to get up at 5:30 am for a 7 am flight, but it is not as if she was overly inconvenienced. She got up, drove me the 20 minutes to the airport and was probably back in bed with the cats before I got through security. Also, at the time we had been in our new house for 2 weeks, so stuff was still all over the place and I spend much of that time unpacking, not packing for my trip. To top it off, we had a housewarming party for 20 people, which started some 18 hours before I was to leave. I didn’t start packing until 9 pm and I was going away for 4 months, not on a 2 day business trip.

The woman is going to drive me to drink.

So, there is only one way to settle the question of who is right and who is wrong. Tell me what you think, gentle readers, by answering the poll on the sidebar.

Vote early, vote often.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it was four am, not one am, and we had to get up at 5:30 in the am, and guess who did 90% of the work for the party, 100% of the clean up, and is STILL CLEANING up the disaster area that is the section of the house he used to pack. MB, you were still bug proofing all of your gear well past midnight, a task you had at least a month to do. I do not feel obliged to give you more than 12 minutes when I am crazy busy and you just want to be entertained because you are bored in paradise. You bet your sweet @ss someone is going to vote early and often....
LWAG (A is for annoyed)

MB said...

I think I have awakened the sleeping giant.

Remember honey, I love you.

Anonymous said...

yes, well, nice try making me come up with my own blog just so I could post to yours. Coward.

Feynman and Coulter's Love Child said...

I gotta say, your case isn't helped by the fact that you wanted a woman to spend MORE time on the phone. I understand where you're coming from, but I've ended 3 relationships in my life specifically because they get all pissy at me when I tell them that I have things to do and spending hours on the phone interfere with that. So oddly enough I kind of have to rule in her favour for not acting like... you know... one of _them_.