Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Jamaica – 22 Nov 2005 – Bits and Pieces

This will be a quiet week. The students were in town yesterday and this morning for a TEWT and go down again tomorrow for the rest of the week. All the other staff go with them. This leaves me unsupervised. We have a bit of work to do to get ready for next week, but it’s not really 5 days of work. So the days are pretty slow, we us trying to make the work last for the week and taking numerous breaks from work.

After about a month of no PT, I have started going back up the Peak. I am at 37 ascents, fifteen to go to meet my minimum goal of 52 (twice the height of Mount Everest). The month I missed was due to rain, hurricanes, and landslides, so my own laziness is not the only factor. I need to do one ascent per day to meet my goal. I should be able to easily reach that, as we have only one more weekend off and the 7 days of straight training.

There is this murder of crows living just outside of our building that are starting to annoy me. Jamaican crows are similar to the ones back home with the exception that their beak is noticeably thicker at the base. This gives them a slightly more prehistoric (and evil) look. These crows usually hang out it a bush in some tall grass, right by where I walk at the same time every morning. And every morning, as I get about 10 feet from them, all but one fly farther away. The one must be the leader. He gives me the evil eye and makes this squawking noise as I pass, which has to be some sort of warning.

Today I went up for lunch and must have surprised them, as they flew out of their bush much more agitated than usual. The one stayed and kept his eye on me.


The lot of them are up to something.

No comments: