Friday, June 08, 2012

The 30 Day Yoga Challenge - Day Eight

I had a horrible class today.

Since part of the advantage of doing the yoga challenge is being able to attend any class at no extra cost, I have been trying out various different classes. Today was Yin and Yang Yoga. I am not sure what that is, but it seems to be about stretching (ha ha), but allowing you to relax into the stretch. In other words, holding the stretch for so long that all the muscles relax and no effort is put into the stretch. You don't have to hold it.

Talk about ego destroying, I was horrible at it.

Firstly, my focus was very off today. Usually my focus is pretty good, but today my mind was all over the place and I had trouble keeping it in class. And, we did some stretches that focused on the hamstrings/quads. This was good for me, as mine are very tight, but some of the stuff I could barely get started on. The worst thing is that I don't think I understood the philosophy behind the practice. I think you are not supposed to force or reach for the stretches. Just about everything I did was reaching and forcing.

I will definitely have to do that one again.

No comments: