Sunday, June 24, 2012

The 30 Day Yoga Challenge - Day 24

Less than a week to go until the end of the challenge.

I have kept up with the one class per day rule, and I have not found it too difficult. I have overheard some of the participants complaining of soreness or stiffness, but mine has been minimal. I think I am in better shape than I was a few months ago, plus some have been doing more than one class per day in order to build up and bit of flexibility it they go away for a weekend. To me, this does not really meet the purpose of the challenge. The idea is to see what effect doing yoga everyday has on your body. It needs to be done once per 24 hours. Doing 30 yoga classes in 15 days is not an accurate impression of the effect of 30 days of yoga.

I have noticed an improvement in my flexibility. I find it easier to stretch and it takes me less time to to get more out of the stretch. While I still wake up with slight back pain, it seems to be a bit less and goes away faster in the morning. I think my posture is sometimes poor and yoga has helped to make me more aware of it, and strengthened my back and abs so I can better maintain it. 

I am less happy with my mood or ability to remain centered. I am usually good for the few hours immediately following a yoga class, but I have still lost my sense of calm on occasion with K in the afternoon or evening. Five year olds can be very trying, and K is a lot like me, so is more trying than is normal. I don't know if yoga is able to "cure" this. However, I am more aware of it, so maybe I can work on it more.

I am a bit sad to see the end of this challenge. I might keep it going by continuing to attend a class every day.

No comments: