Monday, January 09, 2006

Values Values Values

Post Debate thoughts

Blah Blah Blah

If I hear the world "values" once more, I swear I am going to scream. The arrogance of certain party leaders is unbelivable. They talk as if there are certain "Canadian Values" that every single one of the 32 million people in Canada ascribe to, and we all agree. If that were so, there would be no need for democracy or voting, and indeed, this blog would not exist.

I am not going to talk about who won or lost, because that doesn't matter. Most people did not watch the debate, so what really matters is the spin being put on it right now and the headlines in the papers tomorrow. Rather than tell you who I think won, I am going to talk about the performance of each.

Paul Martin: The guy comes across as desparate. He talks fast, as if he is trying to throw enough facts and figures and "great programs" at you so you won't as him about the sponsorship scandal. The guy was the least Primeministerial (sp?) of the bunch. And his statements were so choppy. It was like he would start into some point, some program that he had brought in and they just trail off into something else, never finishing his point. My distinct impression was of someone tap dancing on hot coals in bare feet. And enough with the values crap. As if I really expect the leader of a political party to hold the same values as I. I can't even find a wife with my same values, never mind a political party. It's hard for me to be open minded with PMPM, as the only value I can think about whenever he says "Values" is skimming money from taxpayers and funneling it through the Ad agencies of your friends. Can anyone trust anything this guy says? Twelve years after making the promise of a child care plan it is finally coming in?

Stephen Harper: I thought he had the best performance. He was focussed, stuck to his points and spoke calmly and clearly. The oly value I want in a politician is someone who will do what they say. After than, tell me what you plan to do and I will decide if I think it is the best thing for the country and for me. I am not sure if Harper will do what he says, but he couldn't be worse than the Liberals.

Jack Layton: One of the "average Joe citizens" mentioned that Jack seemed a bit wooden and stiff. I thought he did well and he talked less about values than the other guy. At least he was more calm and cohearant that Martin. Unfortunately, I can't take the NDP seriously. Jack seemed focussed on convincing his potential supporters not to abandon the NDP to stop the Conservatives. All the stuff about giving us enough MP's to make Parilment work. The NDP is a regional party like the Bloc, except instead of a region, they have "victims". All the people who are thought (by them) to be underrepresented or disadvantagesd in some way. I don't buy that crap about the government "protecting" and "helping", so I can't take them seriously. Besides, I suspect that, deep in his heart, Jack knows that the members of his party are right out to lunch when it comes to the serious issues, such as the economy, and he knows that he would mess it up. He secretly hopes for an economically conservative Liberal or Conservative party to win, so he can lobby for his precious social programs. If the NDP formed the government, they would destroy the economy, just like they did in BC. the difference being, at the federal level there wouldn't be anyone else to pass the buck to and pay for health care, child care and all those other ineffiecient programs.

Giles Duceppe: This was fun for him, as he knows his real audience will be watching tomorrow. The only thing he need to do is come across as rational, so as to made this separation thing not like an idea from a bunch of crazies. He made some good points, especially in his attacks on PMPM, unfortunately, is english is a bit weak, so it comes off as disjoined and hard to follow at times. He needs to polish up his english.

It's all over but the spinning.

Update: SDA reminded me of the quote that clearly demonstrates my point about PMPM. At one point they are talking about poverty and he says the root causes of poverty are Aboriginals. Now, I am sure he did not mean to say that, and I assume that what he meant was, umm, I am not sure. The point is the guy was nervous and all over the place, rushing from point to point. He definately came across as desperate.

1 comment:

Nastyboy said...

If I hear the word "fundamentally" one more time I'll join you in your screaming.