Friday, January 20, 2006

Post deployment readjustments

Things have not been going super smoothly since I got home.

To be honest, I expected a bit more things done around the house. I was gone for almost 5 months, and we still do not have curtains or a set of drawers for the bedroom. There were a few things I asked her to do when I was gone and they were not done.

Before all the femanists out there get all uppity, these were things that most women like to do. It's not like I asked her to chop a winters’ worth of firewood. These things were all, what a friend of mine likes to call, "pink" things. Buying curtains, getting some stools for the kitchen, buying a chest of drawers for the bedroom, buying a pot rack. I said buy one thing each month or about 5 major items. I said try to keep it down to about $500 per, but use your judgement. I expected I would see some overpriced stuff, but better to have something a pay a bit more than have nothing. Or she could buy nothing.

Now I fully accept that I would have to do something when I got home and I was ready for a pile of what I call the "blue" things waiting for we when I got back. These include such things as putting up the curtains, moving the dresser, chopping wood, etc. But there are no "blue" things to do. In fact, it seems the only major thing the wife did was chop firewood (she did a lot of firewood), which is a blue thing. She did buy a few other things, the biggest being a small liquor cabinet (low priority) and some Leggo at a garage sale, for the kids. Since we don't have any kids, and if we did have one tomorrow it would be at least 5 years before he/she could play with it, this is an even lower priority.

Suffice it to say, things are not were I thought they would be.

Now, in her defence, she says that she was very busy at work and did a lot of overtime. If this is true that means we should have a ton of money to spend. I want to buy a new, fancy TV, one of those LCD 32 inch types. The one we are watching now is at least 8 years old and is 26 inches. If you know me, you know that I am cheap. I do not want to spend a cent if I do not have to, especially on big ticket items. I don't mind spending money on something it if we need it, otherwise I sock money away. Now, we do not need a TV. The present one is old and doesn't fit in the space, but we could survive without it, so this is a tough purchase for me. I am wracked with guilt, as demonstrated by having been into a number of stores a number of times looking at the thing and always putting buying it off for some reason. So you would thing the wife would be a bit more supportive as I struggle with this purchase. Not so. She keeps making comments about how we do not need a new TV. I know we do not need a new TV. When you get right down to it, we don't need a TV at all. Sure, we could continue to leave the TV in the center of the room, on the coffee table, so close to the fireplace that the plastic melts. That's not the point. The point is how can a woman who did very few of the "pink" things criticize when I want to buy something to get the place in better shape? Especially since we are rolling in so much money after all this overtime.

That's another thing. The wife still insists on the "my money, your money". I say we put it all in one account, she wants separate accounts. To be honest, I really don't care, since we divide up all the bills anyway. But how can I be sure there was overtime. Maybe she found out I asked the neighbour to watch the house while I was gone and shoot any strange men that were around. Maybe this "overtime" was really a cover for an office affair.

This weekend is my birthday. If she gives me trouble about buying the TV this weekend, I will know she had an affair.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What, you didn't come home to a Liberal under your bed as well as one in it?

Anonymous said...

Reading this blog has begun to depress me. In particular, that separate account thing doesn't sound good to me. Sort of like a "just in case we break up, at least I'll know what's mine" provision.

MB said...

Mom, is that you?

K. Shoshana said...

Let me offer some free advice - buy the tv if you haven't done so. As a matter of fact, buy all the big tickets items you can afford to before you have children.
Once children come, the chances of purchasing a big ticket item becomes practically impossible unless with the arrival of children comes huge windfall.

I have had separate accounts and joint accounts. I have loved all my husbands but going to the bank machine for grocery money and finding out that there is not as much money as I thought there should be (owing to a lunchtime purchase of whatever) is a needless stress. What I found worked best is what my mother has been doing for the last 30 years. They have separate accounts and transfer money in twice a month into a joint account that they pay the bills out of and pay for household expenses.

So she is not a typical femme femme, so what, you also got someone who will tolerate you and put up without having a husband for months at a time. Not every woman would do that and some men would find it endearing that she get a liquor cabinet before curtains. Accept it and move on. Put it down as a big mystery like what happens after death.

Anonymous said...

honey, you are unbelievable. I mean, really. For those of you who are concerned, let me assure you that Marcel left me with 90% of the unpacking and setting up house. I have a full time very demanding job, and there are only so many hours in the day to go "shopping for pink things". For the record, I did go shopping and did not find much that was worth buying, then got way too busy to keep shopping and decided to wait for us to go together when you know who returned from Jamaica. But he didn't want to go because it was "boring". Like spending my precious little spare time looking for curtain rods of a certain size isn't boring for me. Unbelievable.

ps the liquor cabinet and Lego were purchased for next to nothing at local garage sales while looking for furniture, curtains etc so piss off Marcel !!!