Friday, January 06, 2006

Back to Full Strength

In this post I mentioned that our oldest cat died.

Last week we added to our family by going to the Edmonton Humane Society and adopting a kitten, who we named Orion. Being in the country, we need a good mouser, so I have high hopes that he will live up to his name. The older cat is doing a good job in that department, as she caught a mouse last week. However, at 10 years old, she can't last forever, so we have to start training the next generation now. So far, Orion shows promise. He attacks everything in sight and is very fast. However, he is also clumsy. He knocks down everything, climbs on top of stuff and frequently falls from over a 4 foot height. You know how they say cats always land on their feet? Not this guy. I have frequently observed him land on his back numerous times.

Having a kitten is a bit like having a child. Orion cannot spend 2 seconds without being nearby. As I (try to) write this, he keeps walking over the keyboard and attacking the cursor. It is interesting to see him realize he cannot get it and look behind the monitor to see if it is there. As is typical for kittens, he goes 1 million miles an hour, then suddenly crashes, sleeping for 30 minutes before starting the cycle again. He also has to be underfoot, going where you are going. As a result, I have often almost stepped on him or kicked him. Don't tell the agency.

Speaking of the agency, I am very supportive of what they do, but they treat you a bit like a potential criminal. I mean, people used to drown kittens by the sackful, so I figured I would be doing these guys a favour by taking a kitten. Perhaps I was, but the process you have to go through. It took about 1-2 hours to adopt Orion. I signed a contract, the main thrust of which was that the Humane Society is not responsible for anything. I had to initial beside statement such as "I am aware that any future medical related costs must be borne by me.." and "The Edmonton Humane Society is not responsible (insert anything here)...". I suppose it must be done, but the extreme lengths people must go to protect themselves legally is absurd.

After the legal mumbo-jumbo, you fill out a questionnaire which asseses your fitness to be a parent. Questions such as "How will you react if your pet ...". I mean, give me a break, do they think I will dance a jig if the cat pisses on my new shoes?

After that is the interview where they go over your answers and re-educationing begins. This is where you realize that a good swift kick is not the right way to deal with a kitten that has done something wrong.

That said, Orion is very cute and just about impossible not to love, even when misbehaving. It's nice to have a cat that wants affection, instead of one that thinks all humans are disease-bags.

No comments: