Sunday, January 08, 2006

Canary in the Coal Mine (1)

See this post first.

First three weeks of the campaign (up to Christmas).


The first interview was late, as I did not get home until half way through the campaign. My father voted Liberal in the last election (2004) but cannot remember which party he voted for before that (20000). I will bet it was Liberal as well.

He describes himself as liberal (small l), but does not vote religiously for any one party. His primary source for election information is from the Toronto Star (subscription, about 80% of his information) and the CBC: The National (20%). Twenty years ago, when I lived at home, my father was falling asleep at about the time the news came on (my father is the reason for the ill fated movement of The National from the 10 pm to 9 pm timeslot some years ago), so I doubt it is much different now. Consider it closer to 100% Toronto Star.

After the first three weeks of the campaign, he says he will not vote Liberal. I still classify him as undecided, but he says he is leaning towards the Conservatives. The two biggest issues in the campaign: The GST cut, (he really likes that), and Liberal corruption. Adscam has really hit a nerve with him.

I was hoping this would show some big change over the course of the campaign. It seems the Natural Governering Party(tm) is in trouble right from the start.

Recent poll numbers seem to confirm this. Come back tomorrow to see if the Christmaas break and 1st week back has had any change.

No comments: