Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The House Saga - Part 2

Continued from this post.

We had no choice but to look for another place to live. The search was complicated but the fact that the wife had to go on a 2 week business trip. With only six weeks before we were to move, we needed a place fast. We could not wait two weeks for her to return before starting our search. However, there was no way that I would buy a place without her ok. We are hoping to live in this new house for the next 20 years and raise our children there. I could not take 20 years of her always reminding me of how I made a bad choice.

Since I would not buy without her, we thought I could use the time to see some of the houses and get rid of the unacceptable ones. In addition to looking for what I liked, I had to keep in mind what she wanted. Right now, we live in a townhouse condo. It is a great size for us, but anything more than 2 kids over 5 years old and it would get a bit crowded. Also, our yard is about the size of a postage stamp. She wants to have a garden. All that, combined with my need to build a bunker to stop the government from trying to take our stuff, led us to want an acreage. There were two things the wife insisted on. She likes privacy. Many of the new acreages are in what amounts to large subdivisions. She wanted lots of trees and privacy. Also, she wanted to be as close to town as possible. I am most concerned about buying a quality house, so I was looking towards something newer. We both prefer newer styles, (ie bigger kitchens). Unfortunately, her 2 requirements tend to be mutually exclusive. The closer to town, the more likely they have less land and less trees. Farther out, more trees.

After two weeks of looking I had seen about 60 houses. I have seen about every acreage in the area and I know more about what is available then most real estate agents.

By the time she returned, I had narrowed it down to the best 7. Of those, I had 2 which I liked. The two were not perfect, one was far away from the city, the other was close but not as treed as she wanted. Life is made of compromises. The clock was ticking, it was time to compromise.

Guess what? She did not like any of them. In fact, she hated my first choice. She would not even consider it. My second choice sold the day before she go back.

Back to the drawing board.

To be continued...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a follow on to your last post about the cat and vet bills, I gather from your post that you want to have children? Well if you think the vet bills are bad then wait til you have kids. You won't stress over $200 bills at that point. Let's hope your sympathy grows in by then...

As for picking a house, perhaps what you need to do is make a list combining each of your wants and needs ON PAPER like a spreadsheet. Then one of you can go and see houses on behalf of both of you so long as you are following the list. Even better, it will allow you to elimintate a lot of houses without driving. If it doesn't meet the NEEDS list it gets cut. But the wifey take note: you can't get mad at him if he is following the list and doing his best. And trees should be a WANT not a NEED because you can always grow them. You might not even like where they are so you may end up moving them anyway so don't eliminate a house for that. Also, if you want kids and live out of the city you may have to check into what school options you have. When the kids want to play and they are far from neighbours you will waste that $200 on gas driving them back and forth. A fence or a yard that can be fenced should be a NEED if you are planning to have kids.

Good Luck