Thursday, April 21, 2005

Asia Honeymoon (6) - Ho Chi Min City

21 March

It is late when we land. No problems getting through passport control. Once we get out of the airport, I have to go to work dealing with people. Our guidebook says a cab to the hotel should cost about $5 US. The cab we get says he wants $20. Since it is midnite and there are 2 of us with luggage, I agree to $10. I may have made a mistake, as when we get to the hotel and I give him $10, a huge grin comes across his face and he reacts as if it was $1 million and takes off like a thief in the night. Did he mean 20 thousand Dong (Vietnam's currency)? 15 thousand Dong is one US dollar, so 20 thousand is about $1.33 US. That can't be right.

Our hotel is 3 stars. I was worried about what we would get and if this would be comfortable enough. The wife doesn't really care about fancy hotels, but to me, this is a vacation. For years my job had me living in the woods so when I go on vacation I don't what to be going without showers and wiping my ass with leaves.

A 3 star hotel includes your own shower, bathroom and TV. I am satisfied. The biggest difference I can determine between 3 and 4 stars is a pool at the hotel. Since this portion of our trip is all about sightseeing, 3 stars is all we need.

No comments: