Friday, January 25, 2013

Get a Job: Lunch Supervisor Edition



So the Wife forced me to get a job. 

The Wife goes back to work from maternity leave in a few months, so it's not like I can get something permanent or full time. I would much rather spend my time trying to get my part time career going. Something I can do and still watch the kids. But we need the money and the Wife will not be assuaged.

So what am I doing? I am a lunch supervisor at J's school. It's 1 hour a day at around 20 dollars an hour. It's almost a volunteer job. The pay covers gas. I go outside at lunch and make sure they don't kill each other in the playground. When they come inside to eat lunch, I get them milk. The school has a milk program. Pay 75 cents and get milk.

Needless to say, I am a bit overqualified for the job. But it does have some perks. I get to meet the parents of some of the other students. As you can guess, the other people doing the job are stay at home Mom's. And some of them are hot. As the only guy, I get to flirt a bit, pretend I am still good looking and desirable. 

And I get to remind myself of what it was like to be in elementary school. One thing interesting about having kids is that you re-live growing up, but with the wisdom of age, so it is less intense and traumatic. Being in the school yard is like that, except you see from age 6 to 12 at the same time. And I already have a bunch of stories.

It's boring, but interesting.  

No comments: