Saturday, September 30, 2006

Together At Last

Yesterday, Jocelyn came home.

We spent Thursday night in the hospital. They have a overnight room for families and we took the both and spent the night there. It is a sort of trial run, to help see if you can cope.

I am not much for big organizations telling me what I can and cannot do, especially with my own children, so I was tempted to tell them to stick it and just take her home. However, the wife seemed to want to follow the "rules" and I think it made her more comfortable to go through a trial run with medical help close by if necessary.

The whole system makes you consider what type of people they normally deal with. The first time I realised there were some very different people out there was during the first set of rounds, where I heard them talking about the wife in the thrid person and mentioning that "the mother" had no history of drug or alcohol abuse during pregnancy.

The hospital staff was constantly tiptoeing around us, making it very obvious they were not trying to pressure us, to make sure we were confortable with dealing with both of them. Nice of them to be so understanding, but it gets a bit tiring being treated like a teenage single mom all the time.

However, we jumped through the hoops and they are our children now.

We are free to screw them up just like everyone else.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whats new -- waiting to hear from you

Spitfire said...

After over one month of being a dad, how is it? Hoping for an update, but I know it's probably very busy!