Saturday, January 21, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me

Today is my birthday. I am the same age as the Ultimate Answer to the Question of Life, the Universe and Everything.

I was watching the movie The Matrix a few days ago. At one point in the movie, after Neo learns the truth about the Matrix, Morpheus mentions residual self image. It strikes me that all men have residual self image.

I am 42 years old, somewhat overweight, my man boobs starting to sag and hairline starting to recede. 

Yet, if I walk down the street and notice an attractive woman, I don't see an old, fat, balding (and probably creepy), man leering at a young girl, but a strong, attractive 25 year old, appreciating beauty, as would be expected.

The problem with all the creepy old men leering at young women is that these guys don't see themselves as old. They see themselves as they were, at 25, not as they are. Like in the Matrix.

Growing old sucks.

No comments: