Sunday, August 12, 2007

Home Alone: Day 5

The Wife comes home tomorrow.

Yesterday and today went very well. I think I have a hang of this Mr Mom stuff. In fact, I got the kitchen clean for the first time in a year.

It is easy to keep things in proper order when you are by yourself. When the Wife is here, she usually makes dinner. Unfortunately, she thinks that making dinner means that just about every pot, pan dish or utensil must be used. And she leaves them all piled up in the sink for me to deal with. I prefer to clean as I go, to keep my workspace in good order and minimize the mountain of dishes at the end.

I have a good feeling that I can handle when she gets back to work. I like to be organized, and the house is still disorganized from when we moved two years ago. I have been deferring to her when it comes to the house, but it's time for me to embrace the housewife job fully.

There's a new sheriff in town.

5 comments:

Spitfire said...

It is easy to keep things in proper order when you are by yourself. When the Wife is here, she usually makes dinner. Unfortunately, she thinks that making dinner means that just about every pot, pan dish or utensil must be used. And she leaves them all piled up in the sink for me to deal with. I prefer to clean as I go, to keep my workspace in good order and minimize the mountain of dishes at the end.

LMAO. I hear this complaint a lot from couples. It seems that we are all mismatched couples when it comes to that department.

On a more serious note, It's great you hear that you have embraced the "housewife job" or domestic duties and congratulations on surviving being a lone parent for a week. While, we are were sure you could do it, it's the personal fear and anxiety a parent has.

Do you find that you have significantly changed since the babies? I've been reading your blog since it started and I think of your posts when you were in Jamaica to now and think how one's life can change in such a short period of time.

Your strength is an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I hope the new sheriff's rules are still being followed :)

I had told my cousin about your story some time ago and she asked about you the other day. I had said you'd stopped blogging but then came by your site and was happy to see I was wrong. So even though you've been back for a while, "welcome back."

Anonymous said...

uh, yeah, the "Sheriff" forgot to mention that the Wife actually uses pots, pans, dishes and utensils, as opposed to microwaving frozen chicken wings and calling it "dinner". I'll spare you all the suspense, both babies and both cats were still alive when mum got home, well done Marcel.
The LWG.

Anonymous said...

I detect some sarcasm, or perhaps my sacasm meter is malfunctioning. It's a shame the LWG is more interested in correcting the record than encouraging the behaviour, it's almost like there's some threat to the traditional status quo...I thought liberated women wanted to be equal?

Just because a man likes to use one pot, instead of one pot to cook, one dish to mix and one to serve doesn't make it wrong. It's more efficient.

MB said...

I try not to comment after LWG "sets the record straight", but she implies that I only use one pot, pan, etc.

The truth is, while I do try to minimize the environmental damage from washing too many dishes, I tend to keep my work station clean as I am creating. It's the sign of a professional.

My cooking doesn't seem to suffer from minimal dishes. Ask her about my pasta last night.

I am sure your sarcasm meter is working fine.