Thursday, December 14, 2006

Help for children with Disabilities

Kate at SDA put me onto this article at the Globe and Mail about a plan to allow parent to put up to $200,000 aside for their severely disabled children.

Although we have been in this position for 2 weeks, I have already considered the future for our daughter. The wife and I are both in our mid 30's, so it is likely that our daughter will live a long time beyond us. I would hate to put our other children under a financial burden after we are gone.

I hope this measure is implemented as soon as possible.

1 comment:

The Writer said...

I'm so sorry for what you are going through. All I can say beyond that is that there are always options for children with disabilities, even severe ones. I know, I grew up with disabled family and friends and now work with developmentally disabled adults. Great people and they continually amaze me. My advice to you is to just see how things go. Evaluate your daughter's reactions, behaviors and abilities and go from there. I've been suprised many times in the past when abilities I thought couldn't possibly be present were made obvious to me. Praying for you and your family!