Sunday, December 10, 2006

Bittersweet Babies

One of the things parents take joy in is the development of their babies. Their first word, their first steps, their first smile.

Last week, Katherine started to communicate with us. She smiles and makes different noises as I look at her. She tries to repeat the sounds I make and laughs when I laugh at her.

However, even through all the wonderment I feel, there always exists a bit of sadness in the back of my mind. Will Jocelyn ever do these things? Will she ever smile at me? What will her life be like? And will I be able to deal with it?

That sounds a bit selfish to me, but my biggest worry is about the wife and I, and will we be able to handle this.

3 comments:

Spitfire said...

The creator or whatever power is up there, would not give you something that you cannot handle. Although it sounds cliche, what does not kill you really does make you stronger. The difficulties you will have with Jocelyn will be tough, they will test your faith, they will test your relationship with your wife and family, and it will test yourself, your personal will and your strength. You can do this, but it will be the most difficult thing you do in your life. Be strong, have faith and carry on.

Tanya said...

I have no doubt that you'll be able to handle whatever obstacles are put in your path. It may be that the joy these precious girls bring to your lives will outweigh the pain.

Thinking of you and wishing you all well.

Anonymous said...

our thouts and best wishes are with you this christmas