Wednesday, May 10, 2006

It's Twins

Yes, you read correctly. We are having two, not one.

This wonderful news just about floored me.

It was at the 18 week mark, and we were going in for our first ultrasound. They take the wife in first for some reason, but said they would be soon out to get me. The wait is getting longer, and I am starting to worry when finally the technician comes out and calls my name. No hint of what is to come.

I get to the room and the wife looks up at me and says "Guess what?"

I say "I do not know, what?"

She says, "Guess"

Now I am starting to get pissed. What could be there to guess? We already agreed not to know the sex of the baby, so the only thing I could think of was various horrible deformaties that I did not even want to think about.

My reaction was to start to pace, then stop and look her in the eye and demand she tell me what was going on. This is my serious look, the one I save for situations when you should not mess with me. It is the "I am considering doing serious bodily harm to you" look.

The wife must have recognised the look (though this is the first time I used it on her) and she spilled the beans and told me we were having twins.

My reaction was disbelief. I mean, we had seen the doctor a few weeks ago. He checked her out, we listened to the heartbeat (I heard only one) and said eveything was fine. No mention of the possibility of more than one.

I don't like doctors. Some tend to conceal the true about what is going on "for your own good". Perhaps conceal is a strong work, but I like to know all the possibilities. I am not some liberal who can't take the truth. You can bet I will have words with this guy.

Next: Discussions with the doc and how the wife found out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, congratulations!

I'm guessing your previous doctor wasn't actually concealing anything from you. He or she may have indeed only heard the one heartbeat and figured that was it.

With our first child, our doctor said she suspected we might be having twins because she thought she could detect two heartbeats, but in fact the ultrasound later confirmed there was only one little guy in there, not two.

Until they actually take a look via ultrasound, its an inexact science at best.

Man in a Shed said...

Congratulations. My wife is one of Twins and due to low quality ultrasound back in the dark ages they didn't pick up on it until after delivery of No1 her mother didn't feal quite right. Her Dad was phoned up at 4am to be told the good news of being the father of twins, fixed himself a double whisky and went back to bed. Those were the days.

Enjoy the next 18 years ....

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your wife's pregnancy!

I run a website that lists expectant bloggers. I have added your blog to the due date listings. If you would like for me to remove the link to your blog or if I need to correct any information, please do let me know. The site URL is http://babyblogorama.net and my e-mail address is my3monkeys at gmail dot com.

Thanks, and congrats again!