Monday, April 09, 2012

Thoughts on Third


The big day is tomorrow. In less than 12 hours, the Wife will be having a C Section for our third child. 

I think the Wife wanted a natural birth, but since the last two were by C Section, there is a 1% chance that natural birth will pop her scar. If that happens, it can get bad very fast. As well, the Wife is over 40, so there is a greater chance of trouble. They told us that if she went into labour before the date of the surgery she could try naturally, but if she was not done quick, they would go in. I think they upped the surgery date a bit, to make sure they could go in. Too much unnecessary risk otherwise. The wife went in for pre admission today. They checked her out and everything was fine.

I was a bit divorced from the whole pregnancy this time. Last time I was right in there the whole way. I still remember the first ultrasound. The Wife went in and they told me they would come to get me in about 20 minutes. Sixty minutes later I was climbing the walls. Three times the amount of time they said and I was wondering what was going on. I was just about to start demanding to see the Wife when they called me in. Picture this. I am very anxious about the long wait. I am convinced something is wrong. I go into the examination room and the Wife says “Guess what?” I say “I don't know what, tell me.” “No” she says, “Just guess.” “No I am not going to guess. Tell me what is going on RIGHT NOW!”

There I was, nervously waiting for 20 minutes, anxiously waiting another 40 minutes, going over in my mind all the things that could be wrong and wondering what was taking so long and why they did not come and talk to me. Then I finally get in there and the Wife wants to play guessing games? I was some pissed off. Then she tells me it's twins. I just about fell over. At first I did not believe it. It was the last thing on my mind.

Some people have asked me if I want a boy or a girl. We still do not know, the Wife wanted to keep it a surprise. It would be nice to have a son to carry on the family name, to chop firewood when I am old, someone to pass my science fiction collection on to. Of course, I have girls and girls are nice. Children naturally gravitate to the opposite sex parent (Oedipal complex and all that), so another girl would be easier. However, I am already outnumbered 3 to 1 and I am not looking forward to their teen years. Four females and a male in one house?At least the dog and one of the cats are male.

The most important thing is that it be healthy. Anything else is a bonus.

No comments: