Saturday, September 17, 2011

You Don't Win Friends With Salad

The wife and I are fans of The Simpsons (the older seasons, when they were cutting edge, not the crap they put out now). Without The Simpsons, we might not have every been married, but that is another story.

About a year ago, we were watching the Lisa the Vegetarian episode, most famous for the above clip. Lately, I have been going a bit crazy and have started to sing all sorts of weird songs when driving with the kids in the car. Mostly jingles, kids TV songs, or nonsense, made up on the spot songs. K recently picked up on this habit and, out of the blue, started singing "You don't win friends with salad" while we were driving in the car. I, of course, joined in.

After a few minutes of this, I realized this may not be such a good thing. Four year olds tend to say the things they have learned at inopportune times. I could see her telling some adult "you don't win friends with salad" during a meal at their home. Also, I thought she may get the idea that friends are something you are supposed to gain by giving them somethings. So I decided that I best explain that this song was a joke and how you should make friends.

Her reply: "But Daddy, you should be friends with everyone, even salad."

No comments: