Thursday, December 22, 2005

Cock of the walk (Not)

Yesterday was another beautiful day. Sun shining and +5 degrees C. That's right, I said plus five! Now you see why Alberta is for global warming. This is usually Calgary kind of weather.

Unfortunately for me, I speand the best part of the day Christmas shopping. I really only have to buy for the wife, as we exchanged gifts with my family a few days ago when I was home. Also, I kow just what to get her, as she has been very open about what she wants. This year we are exchanging a few small gifts. The house is still fairly empty and we need about a million things just to get the place up and running, so the gift bonanza fro us will start after Christmas, when we will go on a spending spree buying stuff for the house.

I only spent 2 hours a this local shopping park, and I was worn out. It wasn't even really that busy, but the driving, parking watching all these people rush around, all I could think of was "Why?". Probaby just an attack of pre-Christmas anti-consumerism.

The wife is part of this dancing group and they have a tradition with newly married couples. There is this big wooden rooster call the fertility cock, and it is given to the couple that is supposed to get pregnant next. I'm not one for superstitions, butthe thing works. Going back as long as can be remembered, the one with the cock is always the next to get pregnant. Now, you are supposed to keep these things a secret, as you don't want everyone coming up to you and constantly asking "Did it work?", but the wife and I are trying to increase the family by more than just one cat. Let's face it, we are not getting any younger (especially her, tick, tick). Perhaps this thing is supposed to work by magic, as the wife has been wearing her armour to bed. I could understand it if if was cold out, but at plus five, we could basically sleep outside. To add to that, the other cat has been very affectionate (for her) since we have been back. She is either the second or third thing in bed at night. If second, she sleeps on my side and I have to kick her out just to get in. If she is third, she promply placed herself between the two of us (maximum warmth) which, as you can imagine, a bit of a cramp on my style. I would leave the cat outside all night and she would be happy to be left outside, but the neighbours have lost three cats in the past month, they suspect to coyotes. Although I suspect this cat could survive anything, the wife would not want to risk it, and would be quite out of the mood if I were to suggest it.

Right now, we are counting on the power of the fertitlty cock only.

No comments: