Sunday, October 23, 2005

Jamaica – 14 Oct 2005 – Vacation Aftermath

My 4-day long weekend in Toronto was enjoyable. I met the wife at the hotel but we did not do much on Friday night as I arrived at about 10:30 pm. On Saturday we went to Second City, the comedy club where such people as John Candy, Dan Aykroyd and Eugene Levy got their start. I had never heard of any of the comedians, however, their show was pretty good. If you see it look for the lizard skit and the lesbian skit. My two favourites.

Sunday we went to visit my parents and have Thanksgiving dinner at my sister’s house. We took the GO train, but missed the first train and had to wait an hour for the next one. It was quite maddening, as the whole scene was like a movie. The train started to pull away just as we got there. The reason we missed our train was the huge line ups to get tickets. Actually, it was quite funny. We missed our train by about 20 seconds. As we were waiting, this lady begged someone ahead of us to let her in, saying she needed to get on the next train. Join the club. We probably would have made our train if she had not been let in. Whoever runs the trains knows little about gauging how many customers to expect on a holiday Monday.

Of course, I screwed up with the wife. We have this ongoing disagreement about something. I tried to get my way by putting her on the spot in front of my parents. I knew she did not want to talk about it at the time and that I was putting her on the spot, yet I still did it. I was wrong. I apologized after but I don’t think she has forgiven me yet. She after I apologized, she said to me “You are just engaging in damage control”. I don’t like that way of putting it. “Damage control is something that politicians do when they are not really sorry but want to contain the “damage” of what they have said or done. I don’t want my wife to be upset. Not because I am afraid of what someone might think, but because she is my wife and I love her. To have her be upset make me upset. So, you say, why did you do it? What can I say, I am a man and therefore, I don’t think before I speak. I am working on it. If I was perfect, she would have nothing to “fix up” and would never have married me.

The wife and I should formally set up a system where she can signal me to shut up. Perhaps that fake coughing thing where she coughs and, under her breath, says something like “Asshole” or “Insensitive Jerk”. Or we could have a safety word like those S&M people have. Saying the word means stop everything. Come to think of it, we already have that sort of thing. Whenever she does want to talk about something she says, “We will talk about it later”. She was saying it during our discussion. I just ignored it.

Honey, if you are reading this, I am sorry. I still don’t think you are right, but I won’t put you on the spot in front of my family again.

This weekend we spend at Hedo. Since Monday is Hero’s Day, the course is getting the day off so we will be staying at Hedo until Monday.

It will be nice to have an extra day.

No comments: