Thursday, April 07, 2005

Asia Honeymoon (1) - For Better or Worse

20 March

Well, we did it. We had planned to get married on our trip to Asia. However, due to the bureaucratic problems of getting married overseas (guess who got blamed for that), we decided to do it before. So, as I write this, my left wing girlfriend has become my left wing wife.

Thanks to all the advice from those who read this blog. Some of you suggested I think twice. The truth is, I knew about three weeks after we met that I was going to marry her. That was 2 1/2 years ago.

On Thursday night we decided to get married before we left. Fifteen minutes at the registry office and we were done. I love Alberta. There are almost as many small registry offices here as liquor stores. Makes it easy to get married or renew your drivers' license. It is actually easier to get a marriage license than it is to get proof there is no impediment to your getting married. To get married you have to swear there is no impediment to your marriage. To prove that there is no impediment to your marriage you need a database search, and a bunch of other stuff that is much more expensive than a marriage license. If it is cheaper, might as well get married.

As I write this we are just about to leave for the airport. It is 5:30 am and we have had about 3 hours sleep and been married for just over 12 hours. We have fought only 3 times since the wedding, all about packing.

It is going to be a long rest of my life.

5 comments:

AdSense Angel said...

Congratulations to both of you! And Marcel, all you have to do to stop the fighting is to Learn To Do Things Her Way. Believe me, submission is the easy way to go!

K. Shoshana said...

Mazel Tov! I hope you will both be very happy. The Monger is right and very wise. Though if you don't believe the Monger or me, try reading Rabbi Rambo's thoughts on obtaining peace on the homefront.

The Hack said...

Congrats to both of you!

May you be happy for the rest of your lives.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

From William Frobisher

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the both of you! It will be interesting to see how this minority government develops..... enjoy your trip -- I hope you left your Halloween costume home.